Thursday, June 21, 2007

World Erotic Art Museum

A few years ago I visited the erotic museum in Spain and was totally blown away. While vacationing in Miami Beach Florida, I came across the World Erotic Art Museum www.weam.com. I didn't think this one could top it. Boy, was I wrong!
They had over 12,000 sq ft of art, ranging from paintings in different mediums, to sculptures to wine bottle openers that had naked men carved into the handle. It's a toss-up between my personal fav's...the old school "pleasure chaise lounge" made specifically for women. It dated back to the early 1900's. And the hand carved "pleasure instruments" (aka beautifully carved dildos) from Japan that dated back to the late 1800's. I know people have been enjoying these naughty pleasures for years, but didn't realize so many cultures expressed their sexuality in these art forms. Dildos dating back to the late 1800's...who knew?

An original interpretation of Leda and the Swan painted on a store mannequin. Karen Rosenberg. American, c. 2000



A male satyr head with horns and beard, with thirteen women's torsos comprising the facial features. American, c. 2000

No comments:

Powered By Blogger